The political science major seeks to help students understand and assess the discipline of political science, theories of politics, political systems and governmental structures, and the tools used in social science research. In addition, the Political Science major encourages students to develop their reasoning, analytic and communication skills, and to apply what they are learning to contemporary political issues.
The political science major particularly seeks to help students apply biblical perspectives to the study, practice and transformation of politics. In conjunction with Geneva′s core curriculum, the political science major provides students with a broad liberal arts background while training them in the discipline and equipping them for service in government, law, politics, teaching, policy analysis, private sector management, etc.
Why choose political science at Geneva College?
- Great Issues in Politics class introduces students to key questions in political philosophy and to some Christian approaches to dealing with those questions.
- Hands-on internship opportunities, such as federal and state legislative offices, law offices, political campaigns, local government offices, and offices involved in analysis and advocacy.
- Students are encouraged to spend at least one semester studying off campus. Programs include: The American Studies Program in Washington D.C., the Middle East Studies Program in Egypt, the Oxford Honors Program in England, and the Russian Studies Program in Moscow, St. Petersburg and Nizhni Novgoraod, Russia.
- Summer programs include the Institute of Comparative Economic and Political Systems at Georgetown University.
Classes you might take
- Congress and the Presidency
- Constitutional Law
- Parties, Elections and Interest Groups
- Politics of Global Economics
- Topics in International Relations
What can you do with a political science degree?
Recent grads are pursuing graduate school and careers in a variety of fields, including:
- Private agencies and organizations
- Law school
- Law enforcement