Geneva College-Birthplace of College
The first college basketball game was organized intramurally by students at Geneva College in February 1892 under the coaching of professor Charles O. Bemies, Geneva's first Athletic Director. He was a protégé of Dr. James Naismith, who is credited with inventing the sport in 1891 at the YMCA Training School in Springfield, Mass. Geneva first played in collegiate competition on April 8, 1893 using peach baskets as goals, defeating the New Brighton YMCA 3 - 0.
We won then, and have been winning ever since! In 2003, Geneva built a new gym floor that has helped turn Metheny Fieldhouse into one of the top small-college facilities in Western Pennsylvania. A facility with seating for nearly 3,000 fans, Metheny Fieldhouse provides an exciting atmosphere for college basketball.
We've built on our historic tradition by establishing one of the most respected college basketball programs in the region. The 2011-12 season was Geneva’s first as a full-fledged member of NCAA Division III and the Presidents’ Athletic Conference.
For more information on playing at Geneva, contact: