Office Phone: 724-847-6756
Dr. Scott Shidemantle is a biblical scholar, theologian and teacher with a focused interest in the area of the New Testament′s Johannine Literature—Gospel of John, Letters of John, and John′s Revelation. He is an ordained Ruling Elder in the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA). He and his wife, Wendy, have two sons, John and Luke.
Disciplines/Field of Instruction
- Biblical Studies
- Christian Ministry Leadership
- Ph.D., 2001, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
- Th.M., 1992, Princeton Theological Seminary
- M.Div., 1991, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
- B.A., 1987, Slippery Rock University
- BIB 112 - Old Testament Survey
- BIB 151 - Freshman Honors: Issues in Old Testament Studies
- BIB 152 - Freshman Honors: Issues in New Testament Studies
- BIB 300 - Foundations of Christian Thought
- BIB 303 - Isaiah
- BIB 312 - Gospel of Mark
- BIB 312 - Gospel of John
- BIB 314 - Romans
- BIB 314 - Ephesians
- BIB 314 - Pastoral Epistles
- BIB 322 - Calvin′s Institutes
- BIB 341 – Archaeology and Geography of Israel
- CMN 401 - Principles of Christian Community
- CMN 403 - Personal Leadership Assessment & Development
- CMN 404 - Old Testament Principles for Leadership
- CMN 406 – The Church In Its Community
- CMN 407 - New Testament Principles for Leadership
- CMN 408 - Spiritual Formation
- CMN 415 - Principles of Grief Ministry
- CMN 410 - Leadership for Mission and Ministry
- Fifteen Book reviews in the Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society
- “John 7:37-39: Exploring the Freed-Carson Proposal” – a scholarly paper given at the November 2003 Evangelical Theological Society meeting in Atlanta, GA
- "The Gospel of Philip's portrayal of Jesus and Mary Magdalene: a review of the contribution of Antti Marjanen's The Woman Jesus Loved to the discussion" given at the November 2005 Evangelical Theological Society meeting in Valley Forge, PA
- “A Christian Response to The DaVinci Code” in Geneva Magazine (Spring 2006): 21-24
- Organized and led study trips to Israel every other year, in coordination with BIB 341 “Archaeology and Geography of Israel,” for students, alumni and friends of the college since the summer of 2004.
- I am currently working on a book review of Character Studies in the Fourth Gospel (2013), edited by Steven A. Hunt, D. Francois Tolmie, and Ruben Zimmermann in the Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society.
- I am preparing to teach an Adult Education course at Chapel Presbyterian Church (PCA) during the month of June (2015) based on Sam Allberry's book Is God Anti-Gay?.
- I am also in the process of organizing our seventh Geneva College study trip to Israel since 2000, scheduled for December 2015/January 2016.
Awards & Distinctions Received
- Distinguished American High School Students, 1983
- Who's Who in American Colleges and Universities, 1987
- Full member of the Evangelical Theological Society
- Full member of the Society for Biblical Literature
- Ruling Elder, Chapel Presbyterian Church (PCA)
- I enjoy spending as much of my free time as possible with my lovely wife, Wendy, and our two awesome sons John and Luke.