Office Phone: 724-847-6728
Disciplines/Field of Instruction
- Ph.D. (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), August 2002, Penn State University College of Medicine
- B.S. (Biology), December 1994, Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- BIO 101 - Bioterrorism
- BIO 101 - Psuedoscience
- BIO 112 - Cell Biology
- BIO 316 - Virology
- BIO 319 - Genetics
- BIO 405 - Molecular Biology
- M. Blome, B.C. Yowler, R. O'Keeffe, N. Panjwani, A.M. Pickett, and C-L. Schengrund. (2008) Use of surface plasmon resonance to characterize binding of botulinum type A toxin-haemagglutinin complex to gangliosides. The Botulinum Journal.
- Petro, K.A., Dyer, M.A., Yowler, B.C., and Schengrund, C-L. Disruption of lipid rafts enhances activity of botulinum neurotoxin serotype A. Toxicon. 48: 1035-1045. (2006)
- Yowler, B.C., and Schengrund, C-L. Glycosphingolipids-Sweets for botulinum neurotoxin. Glycoconjugate Journal. 21: 285-291. (2004)
- Yowler, B.C., and Schengrund, C-L. Kinetic analysis of the interaction of Botulinum neurotoxin with ganglioside GT1b. Biochemistry 43: 9725-31. (2004)
- Kensinger, R.D., Yowler, B.C., Benesi, A.J., Schengrund, C-L. Synthesis of novel, multivalent, glycodendrimers as Ligands for HIV-1 gp120. Bioconjugate Chemistry 15:349-58. (2004)
- Yowler, B.C., Kensinger, R.D., and Schengrund, C-L. Botulinum neurotoxin A activity is dependent upon the presence of specific gangliosides in neuroblastoma cells expressing synaptotagmin I. Journal of Biological Chemistry 277:32815-32819. (2002)
- Yowler, B.C., Stoehr, S.A., and Schengrund, C-L. Oxidation and base-catalyzed elimination of the saccharide portion of GSLs having very different polarities. Journal of Lipid Research 42:659-662. (2001)
- Ropson, I.J., Yowler, B.C., Dalessio, P.M., Banaszak, L.B., and Thompson, J. Properties and Crystal Structure of a B-Barrel Folding Mutant. Biophysical Journal 78:1551-1560. (2000)
- Research on Recovery from Botulinum Toxin Paralysis: This project attempts to determine whether there is a difference in time of onset or time of recovery from leg paralysis due to botulinum toxin poisoning in running vs. non-running mice.
- Research on the detection of CAEV, an HIV-like virus in dairy goats. This project involves testing a variety of bodily fluids to determine the possible routes of transmission of the virus.
Miscellaneous, e.g., hobbies, sports, personal info, etc.
- Currently the Head Coach for Men′s and Women′s Cross Country
- Assistant coach for Track & Field
- Married with two young children
- Enjoy distance running - have raced 17 marathons and counting (including Boston)
- Avid Pittsburgh Sports fan