Office Phone: 724-847-5235
Disciplines/Field of Instruction
- Chemistry - Analytical and Organic
- Chair, Department of Core Studies
- Academic Dean-Undergraduate Programs
- Ph.D. Analytical Chemistry, 1998, University of Pittsburgh
- B.S. Chemistry, 1993, Geneva College
- CHM 160 - Chemistry in Art
- CHM 221 - Organic Chemistry I
- CHM 222 - Organic Chemistry II
- CHM 305 - Advanced Organic
- CHM 306 - Instrumental Analysis
- CHM 310 - Advanced Lab - Organic
- CHM 311 - Advanced Lab - Analytical
- CHM 421 - Current Topics Seminar
- SCS 110 - Introduction to Natural Science Lecture and Lab
- M.R. Stephens, C. MGeary, S. G. Weber, "Kinetic analysis of a photosensitive chelator and its complex with Zn(II)", Photochem. Photobio., 2002, 75(3), 211-220.
- S. J. Woltman, M. R. Alward, S. G. Weber, "Rotating Ring-Disk Electrode Study of Copper(II) Complexes of the Model Peptides Triglycine, Tetraglycine, and Pentaglycine", Analytical Chemistry, 1995, 67(3), 541-551.
- M. R. Alward, "Trends in DNA Genotyping", TrAC, 1997, 16(5), IX.
- M. R. Alward, "Trends in Forensic Chemistry", TrAC, 1996, 15(5), VI.
- M. R. Alward, "Why doesn't industry like our graduates?", TrAC, 1995, 14(6), V.
- I. MacKenzie (author present), M.R Stephens, "N-phenyliminodiacetic acid with Zn2+: A Computational and Experimental Binding Study,", 2014 ACS Student Member Symposium, Duquesne University, April 2014.
- M.R. Alward (author present), C. M. Driscoll, S. G. Weber, "Kinetic analysis of a photosensitive chelator and its complex with Zn(II)", ACS National Meeting, Boston, MA, August 1998.
- M. R. Alward (presenter), C. M. Driscoll, S. G. Weber. "Optical Control of Metal-Ion Binding", Paper No. 1081, 1997 Pittsburgh Conference on Analytical Chemistry and Applied Spectroscopy, Atlanta, GA.
- M. R. Alward (invited speaker), L. Funderburk, J. Grosko, D. B. Knowles, M. T. Stauffer, S. G. Weber, "Photochromism: Molecular Switches in Action", Geneva College, Beaver Falls, PA, December 7, 1995.
- M. R. Alward (author present), L. Funderburk, A. D. Hamilton, D. B. Knowles, M. T. Stauffer, E. van Dienst, S. G. Weber, "Optical Control of Ground State Chemistry", Poster, Gordon Conference on Biosensors, January 1996, Ventura, CA.
Awards & Distinctions Received
- National Science Foundation Fellowship, 1994 - 1998
- Pittsburgh Analytical Chemistry Award for a graduate student in Analytical Chemistry with an interest in teaching, 1996
- Safford Award for Excellence as a Graduate Student Teacher, 1994
- Miles Fellowship, 1993 - 1995
- Valedictorian, Geneva College, 1993
- McCartney Prize for the best work in the field of science, Geneva College, 1993
- Dr. Roy M. Adams Chemistry Prize for excellence in undergraduate research in chemistry, Geneva College, 1992
- Geneva College Trustee Scholarship for outstanding academic performance, Geneva College, 1992
- Paul H. Gilmore Humanities Award for outstanding work in humanities, Geneva College, 1991
- General Excellence Award for scholastic achievement, character and conduct, Geneva College, 1991-1992
- Charles Marston Lee Award, Geneva College, 1989-1993
- The Society for Analytical Chemists of Pittsburgh Analytical College Chemistry Award, Geneva College, 1993
Affiliations, e.g., membership in professional organizations, etc.
- The Pittsburgh Conference on Analytical Chemistry and Applied Spectroscopy (PittconÂ®). Member of the organizing committee since 2001. Served as Housing and Transportation Chair (2015), Science Week Chair (2013), Publicity Chair (2011), Registration Chair (2009), Program Chair (2007), Employment Chair (2005), Audio-Visual Chair (2003).
- Society for Analytical Chemists of Pittsburgh. Member since 1994. Served on a variety of Science Outreach committees as well as Chair of the Scholarships and Grants Committee (2006-2007) and Chair of the Pittsburgh Analytical Chemistry Award (2007-2008). Served as Secretary in 2012-13 and Treasurer in 2013-14.
Miscellaneous, e.g., hobbies, sports, personal info, etc.
- Married, mother of four boys
- Hobbies include walking, racquetball, volleyball and scrapbooking.