Office Phone: x6536
Disciplines/Field of Instruction
- Elementary Education
- Classroom Management
- Children′s Literature
- Math for the Elementary Teacher
- Educational Research
- Elementary Education
- Reading Specialist K-12
- Ph.D. Curriculum and Instruction, 1984, University of Pittsburgh
- M.Ed. Reading Specialist, 1979, Westminster College
- B.S.Ed. Elementary Education, 1974, Geneva College
- EDU 330 - Teaching Math in the Elementary School
- EDU 333 - Classroom Management
- EDU 333 - Elementary Education Advanced Field Experience
- EDU 503 - Applied Research in Education
- EDU 536 - Literature for Children and Adolescents
- Jesky-Smith, R. 2011. A review of Subtracting with Sebastian Pig and Friends on a Camping Trip. Teaching Children Mathematics, 18.1: 60.
- Jesky-Smith, R. 2002. Me, Teach Science? A Survey Reveals Preservice Teachers′ Insecurities About Teaching Science. Science & Children, 39: 26-30.
- Jesky-Smith, R. 1991. The Effects of Pictorial Presentation and Cognitive Style on Visual Recall Memory, Proceedings of Selected AECT Research Papers.
- Jesky-Smith, R. 1990. Getting Preservice Teachers to use Reading Strategies in Their Content Area Courses. Journal of Reading Education, Fall, 1990. Received "Outstanding Article of the Year" Award by Journal of Reading Education peer review committee
Awards & Distinctions Received
- Completed PDE ESL certification program in the summer of 2011 to bolster Geneva′s education program to meet the latest PA Department of Education requirements for teacher candidates in the area of teaching English Language Learners.
- Great Explorations in Science and Math, Associate Trainer Institute, Berkeley, CA, March, 1999.
- Southwestern Pennsylvania LASER K-8 Science Strategic Planning Institute, December, 1999.
- Recipient of grant from Geneva College′s Lilly Foundation, planning seminars scheduled for April, 2004
- Writer and recipient of the Military Order of the Purple Heart Grant, 1987 - $10,000 investment to purchase services and materials relating to teaching
- Writer and recipient of American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education mini grant - Classroom word processing and data base systems, 1986
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- National Council of Teachers of English
- International Reading Association