Office Phone: 724-847-6632
Disciplines/Field of Instruction
- Associate Professor of History and Humanities
- Asian, Middle Eastern, and African History
- Asian Religions, Islam, and Global Christianity
- Ph.D., Non-Western History, University of Edinburgh, Scotland, 2005
Specializations: south Asian cultural history, Asian Christianity
- Non-Western History Sequence:
- Modern Asia
- Middle East
- Modern Africa
- Upper-Level History Courses:
- Religion and Society in Traditional South Asia
- Religion and Society in Traditional East Asia
- Christianity in Asia
- Christianity in Africa and the Middle East
- Freedom Struggle: Gandhi and Mandela
- Orientalism and Postcolonialism
- History and Theory
- Introductory Courses:
- Introduction to Historical Studies
- Humanities 203- Western Culture: Classical through Baroque Eras
- Synthesizing the Vedanta: The Theology of Pierre Johanns S.J. Oxford: P. Lang, 2006.
- “Reading John through Bhakti eyes: the Hermeneutics of A. J. Appasamy.” Chapter in World Christianity in Local Context (ed. Stephen Goodwin), Continuum Press, 2009.
- “Prophetic Precepts or Divine Preeminence: Rammohan Roy vs. Joshua Marshman on the Significance of Jesus.” Chapter in Expect Great Things, Attempt Great Things: William Carey and Adoniram Judson, Mission Pioneers (ed. Allen Yeh and Chris Chun), Eugene: Wipf and Stock, 2013.
- My ongoing research involves examining the lives and thought of indigenous Christians and missionaries in India who engaged deeply with Hindu cultural traditions.
- I love to travel. So far, I have visited 25 different countries in Europe, Asia, and Africa. I have lived and studied in Scotland for four years and taught in Italy for two years in the Geneva College Semester in Rome program.
Awards & Distinctions Received
- Served on the Steering Committee for the World Christianity Consultation of the Evangelical Theological Society, 2010-2013
- Travel Funds Recipient, Geneva College Faculty Development, 2009
For visiting and photographing Kenya and Morocco
- Research Funds Recipient, Methodist University Faculty Development, 2007
For conducting archival research in the Universities of Mumbai and Pune, India
- Research Funds Recipient, University of Edinburgh Small-Project Fund, 2003
For conducting archival research in the Universities of Leuven and Namur, Belgium
- Research Funds Recipient, The Spalding Trust, Cambridge University, 2003
For conducting archival research in the University of Calcutta, India
- Overseas Research Schemes Award, Universities UK, 2002-2004
- Faculty Scholarship, University of Edinburgh, 2002-2004
- Division of Humanities Scholarship, University of Edinburgh, 2001
Affiliations, e.g., membership in professional organizations, etc.
- Yale-Edinburgh Group on the History of Non-Western Christianity
- American Society of Church History
- American Academy of Religion
- Evangelical Theological Society