Office Phone: 724-847-6773
Disciplines/Field of Study
- Ph.D., 2004, Syracuse University
- M.S., 1999, Syracuse University
- B.A., 1996, Houghton College, summa cum laude
- PSY 201 - Introduction to Psychology
- PSY 205 - Psychological Statistics
- PSY 206 - Orientation to Psychology
- PSY 207 - Research Methods in Psychology
- PSY 260 - Tests and Measures
- PSY 325 - Cognitive Psychology
- PSY 404 - Personality Psychology
- PSY 405 - Psychology of Gender
- PSY 406 - Psychology of Prejudice
- PSY 408 - Social Psychology
- PSY 423 - Psychological Research Literature
- PSY 424 - Applied Psychological Research
- PSY 425 - Senior Seminar in Psychology
- PSY 429 - Lab - Social
- PSY 450 - Special Topics in Psychology: Consumer Psychology
- CNS 504 - Graduate Statistics
- Salas, E., *Nichols, D. R., & Driskell, J. E. (2007). Testing three team-training strategies in intact teams: A meta-analysis. Small Group Research, 38, 471-488.
- Manuscripts in Preparation
- Mullen, B., Leader, T. I., & Rice, D. R. (invited resubmission). Complexity and valence in ethnophaulisms and exclusion of ethnic out-groups: What puts the "hate" into hate-speech? Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.
- Tomcho, T. J., Foels, R., Rice, D., Johnson, J., Moses, T. P., Warner, D., Wetherbee, R., & Amalfi, T. (2007). A review of ToP teaching strategies: Links to students′ scientific inquiry skills development. Manuscript submitted for review.
- Tomcho, T.J., Rice, D. R., Foels, R., Folmsbee, L., Vladescu, J., Lissman, R., Matulewicz, R., & Bopp, K. (2007). Are APA′s research methods and statistics learning objectives being addressed?: A multimethod analysis. Manuscript submitted for review.
- Rice, D. R., Abrams, D., Badea, C., Bohner, G., Carnaghi, A., Dementi, L. I., Durkin, K., Ehmann, B., Hodson, G., Kokdemir, D., Masip, J., Moran, A., Oswald, M. E. Ouwerkerk, J., Reber, R., Schroeder, J., Tasiopoulous, K., & Trzebinski, J. (2007). What did you just call me? European ratings of the valence of ethnophaulisms. Manuscript in preparation.
- Rice, D. R. (2007). The social cognition of ingroup and outgroup faces: The paradox of categorization and recognition. Manuscript in preparation.
- Rice, D. R. (2007). Sex-ratio and perceptions of beauty: "There she is, your ideal (depending on the number of other women)!" Manuscript in preparation.
- Rice, D. R. & Muellerleile, P. A. (2007). "A real American hero": The effects of gender composition on aggression. Manuscript in preparation.
- Rice, D. R. & Mullen, B. (2005). Cognitive representations and the exclusion of immigrants: Why red-nosed reindeer don't play games. In Abrams, D., Marques, J., & Hewstone, M. (Eds.), Social Inclusion and Exclusion (pp. 293-316). New York, NY: Psychology Press.
- Mullen, B. & Rice, D. R. (2003). Ethnophaulisms and exclusion: The behavioral consequences of cognitive representation of ethnic immigrant groups. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 29, 1056-1067.
- Rice, D. R. & Mullen, B. (2003). Isaac, Ishmael, and Janus: The role of cognitive representations and group membership. Applied Cognitive Psychology, 17, 1129-1147.
- Levin, K. D., *Nichols, D. R., & Johnson, B. T. (2000). Involvement and persuasion: Attitude functions for the motivated processor. In G. R. Maio & J. M. Olson (Eds.), Why we evaluate: Functions of Attitudes (pp. 163-194). Mawah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Johnson, B. T., & *Nichols, D. R. (1998). Social psychologists′ expertise in the public interest: Civilian morale research during World War II. Journal of Social Issues, 54, 53-77.
- Katz, D., Johnson, B. T., & *Nichols, D. R. (1998). Floyd Henry Allport: A founder of social psychology as a behavioral science. In G. Kimble & M. Wertheimer (Eds.), Portraits of pioneers in psychology (Vol. 3: pp. 121-142). Washington, DC: APA Books.
- Cognitive Representations of Faces: I am interested in how we recognize and categorize faces and what that reveals about broader cognitive processes. Specifically, I am interested in how we categorize faces of our own ethnic group and others, and what are the consequences for those categorizations on our later recognition of those same people.
- Multinational Survey of Perceptions of Valence of Ethnophaulisms for Ethnic Immigrants: I am interested in the words we use (particularly negative slurs) to describe people from other ethnic groups. I am interested both in what such words reveal about the user and also what consequences these words have for the targets of the slurs.
- Effects of Gender Composition in Groups: I am interested in how the relative numbers of men and women in a social group influence beliefs about those group members. For instance, I am currently examining how the relative numbers of men and women influence the perceptions of attractiveness in women and also how aggressive children should be.
- Psychology Students′ Integration of Faith and Learning: I am interested how students′ understanding of the integration of Christian faith and the discipline of psychology change over their time here at Geneva College. I am currently assessing their beliefs about integration and will track changes in these beliefs as they continue through the psychology major.
Awards & Distinctions Received
- Outstanding Student in Psychology, Houghton College, 1996
- Syracuse University Fellow, Syracuse University, 1996, 1999
- Member of the Student Committee of the Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues, SPSSI, 1999-2000
- Pew Younger Scholars Mentoring Program, Pew Foundation, 2000-2003
- Member of Psi Chi, National Honor Society in Psychology, 2007
Affiliations, e.g., membership in professional organizations, etc.
- American Psychological Society
- American Psychological Association