Financial Aid


Satisfactory Progress

Print      Apply

Satisfactory Academic Progress is checked at the end of the spring semester for students in traditional calendar programs. For the cohort type programs (such as degree completion programs), it is checked after the term that most closely corresponds to the spring term. In order to receive financial aid (including loans), students must maintain satisfactory progress as indicated below:

I. Full-Time Undergraduate Students: All full-time students must pass a minimum of 24 “new” hours of academic credit annually to remain eligible for aid consideration (twelve “new” hours for any student with only one term or semester in the year) and maintain a minimum1.7 G.P.A. as a freshman or sophomore (under 60 credits earned). Juniors and seniors must maintain a minimum 2.0 G.P.A.

II. Part-Time Undergraduate Students: All part-time students must complete 75% of all credits attempted in a term. If, in a specific term less than 75% are completed, then 75% of cumulative attempts must be completed. Part-time students must maintain a minimum 1.7 G.P.A. as a freshman or sophomore (under 60 credits earned). Juniors and seniors must maintain a minimum 2.0 G.P.A.

III. Graduate Students: Graduate students are considered to be making satisfactory academic progress if they are meeting their program′s standards for continued enrollment.

IV. Impact of incompletes, withdrawals and repeats: Incomplete courses can impact two ways. Initially, because a course is incomplete, it does not count toward the 24 credits per year requirement for full-time undergraduates. Eventually an incomplete course that is not resolved becomes an “F” which affects the GPA.

Withdrawing from a course can bring the total credits earned for the school year below the minimum requirement.

A Repeated course does not count as “new” credits unless it is replacing a course with an “F” grade. Courses with an “F” grade do not result in any earned credits.

V. Total Semesters of Aid Eligibility: The pace at which an undergraduate student completes classes varies depending upon full-time or part-time enrollment. A full-time student must complete the normal four year program in no more than six years. Part-time students must proceed at the same pace. For example, a student who should complete in six years as a part-time student may not exceed nine years.

Graduate students must also take no more than 150% of the normal amount of time to complete a degree. For example, a program that requires two years of full-time enrollment must be completed within three years.

VI. Review Policies: If, after review, it is found that the student has not maintained "satisfactory progress," the student will be placed on financial aid suspension until the required credit hours or grades have been attained. The student may not receive any Federal or Geneva aid. State aid has different standards. Pennsylvania state grant requires 24 “new” credits per year and does not have a GPA requirement.

VII. Appeals: Any student who has been placed on financial aid suspension may appeal in writing to the Director of Financial Aid indicating what extenuating circumstances occurred that hindered meeting the minimum requirements and why aid should not be terminated. Examples of these circumstances may include the death of a family member, illness or injury of the student, or other special circumstances. The appeal must include the reason(s) that the student failed to make satisfactory academic progress and what has changed that will allow the student to make satisfactory academic progress. The Director and/or Financial Aid Committee will review the appeal to determine if an exception is justified. The student will be notified in writing of the appeal decision. A student who successfully appeals will be placed on financial aid probation and will likely have academic conditions that must be met to continue financial aid eligibility. Financial Aid probation means that financial aid will be granted for one semester/term, but that further conditions must be met to continue receiving financial aid in future semesters/terms.

Except in rare circumstances, students may appeal one time only.