The Accounting Major at Geneva College prepares students for careers in public or private accounting. Geneva’s program affords students the opportunity to tailor their education to meet their future career goals. Accounting majors have the opportunity to choose a specific track best suited to meet their individual goals.
- Track one – This track is typically for students interested in private or corporate accounting. These students receive their Bachelor’s degree upon completion of 126 credit hours of coursework. Students choosing this option usually desire careers in managerial, governmental, or not-for-profit accounting.
- Track two – This track was created to meet the changes in Pennsylvania law for licensing as Certified Public Accountants and is geared toward those students interested in pursuing public accounting. Beginning January 1, 2012, students must have completed 150 credit hours of education to sit for the CPA exam. Geneva has pioneered a program to afford students the opportunity to complete the 150 credit hours of education in an all undergraduate setting or by continuing into Geneva’s M.B.A. program. The undergraduate option would allow students to complete the required hours in just four years, as long as some summer school courses would be taken. The graduate studies option gives students the opportunity to receive a graduate level degree, but it would require an additional year or two of studies.
Why choose Geneva College?
- All accounting courses are taught by Certified Public Accountants who have had many years of experience in public and private accounting. Their experiences and knowledge of real-world expectations help in creating an environment where students can be successful, not only in the classroom, but in applying materials to real life projects.
- Geneva College has established relationships with many local firms, which has afforded our students opportunities to gain valuable internship experience. This experience has often led to permanent positions upon graduation.
- For those actively seeing employment in the past three years, there is a 100% placement rate for graduates of the accounting program. Some of the firms who have hired Geneva graduates in the recent past are: Deloitte, S.R. Snodgrass, Carbis Walker, Alpern Rosenthal, Grossman Yanak & Ford, Cottrill Arbutina & Associates, etc.
- Geneva College allows students to choose the program track most suited for their desired profession and gives students several options for completing the program.
- The Accounting Program, as part of the Department of Business, Accounting and Management, is nationally accredited by the Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs.
Any questions regarding curriculum, courses, or other general inquiries should be addressed to Amy C. Russin, CPA and Assistant Professor of Business at email@example.com.
“Cottrill, Arbutina & Associates employs many Geneva College interns and some former graduates who have come to us with impressive qualifications. We are pleased that Geneva is providing its accounting majors with even better credentials thanks to the new tracks of coursework developed to meet the 150-hour licensing requirement. This rigorous curriculum will help students prepare better for real-world careers as CPAs in today’s market.”
- P. Joel Martin, CPA, B.S. 1996
Shareholder, Cottrill, Arbutina & Associates, Inc.
"Grossman Yanak & Ford LLP, a regional certified public accounting and consulting firm headquartered in Pittsburgh, employs many graduates from Geneva College. In addition, our firm offers summer internship opportunities to current Geneva College students upon completion of their junior academic year. Our firm is pleased with the way the students that we employ have applied their accounting and business knowledge and fundamentals to real life demands on client engagements and projects. We look forward to meeting Geneva's future accounting graduates who will demonstrate that academic and extracurricular accomplishments will transition into professional success."
- Colleen R. Febbraro
Human Resources Supervisor, Grossman Yanak & Ford LLP