Accidental fires can occur very unexpectedly, and the proper response is necessary to quickly and safely control and eliminate the flames. In the event of fire:
- Leave the building at once.
- Pull the fire alarm if it is not already activated and alert other people and instruct them to leave the building.
- Evacuate the building calmly, following the evacuation and assembly procedures posted in the building. Do not use elevators.
- Close all doors and windows on your way to contain the fire if you can safely do so.
- Stay as low as possible to avoid smoke and heat.
- Call 911 (dial 9 first from on-campus phone) from a safe location.
- Call Geneva Security by campus phone at 9-846-9632 or outside line or cell phone at 724-846-9632 and confirm that they have been notified.
- Remain at the assembly area until you have been released to leave by an authority.
- If trapped:
- Alert emergency crews of your location. Try telephone, if available. Place an article of clothing or other signal in a window. Whistle, shout or use tools or debris to hit a solid surface at regular intervals.
- Stuff material in door cracks to minimize smoke and try to stay low where heat, smoke and contaminates may be less intense.