Daryl F. Sas, Ph.D.
Office Phone: 724-847-6729
Disciplines/Field of Instruction
- Ph.D., 1983, Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Minnesota, St. Paul, MN.
- B.A., 1977, Natural Sciences, Dordt College, Sioux Center, IA.
- BIO 101 - Biology of Infectious Disease
- BIO 112 - Introduction to Cellular Biology
- BIO 225 - Human Anatomy & Physiology I
- BIO 302 - Embryology
- BIO 305 - Microbiology
- BIO 319 - Genetics
- BIO 315 - Immunology
- BIO 316 - Virology
- BIO 331 - Biomedical Ethics
- BIO 405 - Molecular Biology
Publications(Since joining Geneva's faculty)
- What's Incredible? Learning to Read Science Articles with a Critical Eye. Published online by the Cornwall Alliance. 2013
- The Biology of Infectious Disease. Beaver Falls, PA, Geneva College. 1997.
- A Biblical Perspective on the Nature of Scientific Activity. Unpublished thesis. Geneva College. 1993.
- Advanced Physiology Lab Manual. Geneva College. 1989.
- Molecular Biology Lab Notebook. Geneva College. 1997.
- Microbiology Lab Supplement. Geneva College. 2002.
- Embryology Lab Manual. Geneva College. 2003.
- Reliance on Technology: Stem Cell Research and Beyond in CuttingEdge Bioethics: a Christian Exploration of Technologies and Trends, John F. Kilner, C. Christopher Hook and Diann B. Uustal (editors), Eerdmans, Grand Rapids, MI. 2002.
- Introduction to Natural Science. Pages 1-1 -- 1-10 in Energy: The Development of a Scientific Idea. (D. Badger et al). Geneva College SCS 110 Course Syllabus. 1992.
- Muscle. Pages 17-1 -- 17-13 in Energy: The Development of a Scientific Idea. (D. Badger et al). Geneva College SCS 110 Course Syllabus. 1992.
- Energy Use in Biological Systems. Pages 18-1 -- 18-20 in Energy: The Development of a Scientific Idea. (D. Badger et al). Geneva College SCS 110 Course Syllabus. 1992.
- "Human Embryonic Stem Cells -- Hope vs. Hype" The Father's Scientists Seminar, Geneva College, Beaver Falls, PA. 3/1/07
- "What Would Jesus Do?" Alpha Chi Induction Address, Geneva College, Beaver Falls, PA. 11/19/03
- "Stem Cell Research for Stem Cell Transplantation" Honors Student Seminar, Geneva College, Beaver Falls, PA. 10/29/03
- "Human Embryonic Stem Cell Research" Kerr Presbyterian Church, Pittsburgh, PA. 9/15/01
- "End-of-Life Curve" The Center for Bioethics and Human Dignity Conference, Chicago, IL. 7/20/01.
- "A Biblical View of Medical Technology" The Center for Bioethics and Human Dignity Conference, Chicago, IL. 7/21/00
- "Priorities in Biblical Bioethics" American Scientific Affiliation Convention, St. Paul, MN. 7/29/94.
- "Philosophical Foundations of Evolutionism" Assocation of Christian Schools International Convention, Beaver Falls, PA. 10/19/92.
- "Issues in a Christian Philosophy of Science." Assocation of Christian Schools International Convention, Albany, NY. 10/27/89.
- BIO 101 Pseudo-Science
With increasing exposure to pseudo-science, such as homeopathy, nutriceuticals, "energy medicine," etc., students need some way to analyze the many conflicting claims made for the causes and treatments for human disease. I am currently developing a class for non-science majors to enable them to determine the truthfulness of such claims.
- Biblical Selflessness as an Ethical Principle
If Biblical love, i.e., selflessness, is the pinnacle of obedience to the law ("the greatest commandment"), then surely it ought to be a primary concern in determining whether an action is ethical or not. This is a hard sell in our narcissistic culture. Therefore, I need to develop a stronger Biblical foundation for selflessness as an ethical principle.
- Development of Immunological Markers for GI Tract Smooth Muscle Stem Cells
My summer research involves the production of monoclonal antibodies which recognize gastrointestinal smooth muscle cells. Since the origin of such cells is largely unknown, these probes could be helpful in identifying their source, as well as in determining the level of differentiation and metastatic potential of GI tract muscle tumors.
Awards & Distinctions
- Biology Department Chairman since August, 2004.
- Recipient of the Excellence in Scholarship Award at Geneva College for the '02-'03 academic year.
- Granted tenure at Geneva College in January of 1994. Included submission of an integration thesis entitled, A Biblical Perspective on the Nature of Scientific Activity.
- Recipient of the Excellence in Teaching Award at Geneva College for the '90-'91 academic year.
- Research Fellow in Gastroenterology at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN 1985-1988.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Center for Bioethics and Human Dignity
- Darlington Reformed Presbyterian Church (PCA)
- Born and raised in rural SW Minnesota.
- Married with two daughters, Katie and Megan.
- I enjoy baking, gardening, woodworking and classic rock music.