Gregory R. Jones
Instructor, History and Humanities
Office: Fern Cliffe 21
- PhD, American History, Kent State University
- MA, History, Western Carolina University
- BA, History, Geneva College
- HIS 150: US History Survey
- HIS 201: Introduction to Historical Studies
- HIS 252: US III 20th Century
- HIS 280: Modern Africa
- HIS 290: Modern Asia
- HIS 300: Digital History
- HIS 300: Civil War and Reconstruction
- HIS 300: US Military History
- HIS 401: Slavery in the United States
- HIS 422: History and Theory
- HUM 203: Making the West
- Plenary Address, “From Pickers to Papers: Bridging the Gap Between ‘Pop History’ and the Academy,” Conference on Faith and History Undergraduate Conference, Gordon College, Wenham, Massachusetts, October 3, 2012.
- Plenary Panelist, “Is Pop History Real History?” with Dr. Frederick Witzig (Monmouth College) and Dr. John Fea (Messiah College), Conference on Faith and History Undergraduate Conference, Gordon College, Wenham, Massachusetts, October 4, 2012.
- “Violence at Home: Union Soldier Reactions to Anti-War Peace Democrats in Southeastern Ohio during the American Civil War” in Marsha Robinson ed. Lesser Civil Wars: Civilians and Birth Pangs of Democracy in the Ohio River Valley, (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, December 2012.
- “Sports in the Slave Experience,” Tuckasegee Valley Historical Review, v. 13, Spring 2007, 66-81.
Select Book Reviews
- Review of Evangelicalism and the Politics of Reform in Northern Black Thought, 1776-1863 by Rita Roberts, Fides et Historia, Winter/Spring 2012.
- Review of Soldiers North and South: The Everyday Experiences of the Men Who Fought America’s Civil War by Paul A. Cimbala, H-CivWar, January 3, 2012.
- Review of Until Antietam: The Life and Letters of Major General Israel B. Richardson, U.S. Army by Jack C. Mason, Civil War History, 57:3 September 2011.
- Review of Wars Within a War: Controversy and Conflict Over the American Civil War by Joan Waugh and Gary Gallagher, eds. Fides Et Historia, 42:1 Winter/Spring 2010.
- Review of Disunion!: The Coming of the American Civil War, 1789-1859 by Elizabeth Varon. Fides Et Historia, 41:1, Winter/Spring 2009.
- Review of South Carolina Scalawags by Hyman Rubin III and A Black Congressman in the Age of Jim Crow: South Carolina’s George Washington Murray by John F. Marszalek. Georgia Historical Quarterly, 93:1, Spring 2009.
- Review of General Lee’s Army: From Victory to Collapse, by Joseph T. Glatthaar. America’s Civil War, May 2008.
- Review of Meade’s Army: The Private Notebooks of Lt. Col. Theodore Lyman, Edited by David W. Lowe. North Carolina Historical Review, April, 2008.
- Review of The Civil War as a Theological Crisis, by Mark Noll. Tuckasegee Valley Historical Review, Spring 2007.
Select Papers Presented
- “Him who is willing and able to save’: Southeastern Ohio Union Soldiers at the Intersection of Faith and War,” Conference on Faith and History, Gordon College, Wenham, Massachusetts, October 6, 2012.
“Google Sites and Multimedia Presentations: Encouraging Creativity in History Evaluation,” presented at the North Central Sociological Association Annual Meeting, Marriott City Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on April 13, 2012.
- “Traitors at Home: Soldiers, Unionists, and Peace Democrats in Southeastern Ohio,” presented at the Ohio Goes To War Conference, Cleveland State University, Cleveland, Ohio on September 9-10, 2011.
- “When is their folly going to cease?’ A Northern Woman’s Cry for Peace,” presented at the Great Lakes History Conference at Grand Valley State University, Grand Rapids, Michigan on October 8-9, 2010.
- “For ‘Old Abe and Andy’: Union Soldiers from Southeastern Ohio and the Election of 1864,” presented at the Mid America History Conference, University of Arkansas, Little Rock on September 22, 2010.
- “In a Pall of Gloomy Clouds: Sectionalism in Southeastern Ohio in the 1850s,” presented at the James A. Barnes Club Conference at Temple University in Philadelphia, PA on March 21, 2009.
- “Butternuts, Copperheads, and the Union: Southeastern Ohio and the Election of 1864,” presented at the Conference on Faith and History at Bluffton University in Bluffton, Ohio on September 20, 2008.
“Worthy of Their Sires: Confederate Lyrics as a Renaissance of American Revolutionary Ideology,” presented at Loyola University (Chicago, Illinois) History Graduate Student Conference on April 25, 2008.
- Phi Alpha Theta Faculty Advisor, Alpha Omicron Beta Chapter, Geneva College, 2012-2013 Academic Year
- Graduate Student Representative, Executive Board, Conference on Faith and History, Fall 2010 – Summer 2013
- Geneva College Mens’ Rugby Team, Faculty Advisor, 2011-present
- Advanced Placement Exam Rater, United States History Exam, Louisville, Kentucky, June 1-7, 2012.
- Kent State History Department Discussion co-leader with Prof. Elizabeth Smith-Pryor, “The Landscape of E-Learning," on February 17, 2012.
- Kent State University History Department, Curriculum Committee, 2011-2013
- Kent State University History Department, U.S. History Committee, 2010-2013
- Kent State University History Department, Graduate Student Advisory Committee, 2010-2011
- Phi Alpha Theta Comprehensive Exam Advisory Forum, Panelist, April 20, 2010
- Kent State University History Department Aims and Future Development Committee, 2008-2010
- Phi Alpha Theta, Honor Society for History, member
- Conference on Faith and History, member