Dr. Jim Dittmar
Office Phone: 724-847-6853
Disciplines/Field of Instruction
- Leadership/Organizational Studies
- Ph.D., 1993, University of Pittsburgh
- M.Ed., 1986, Social Studies, Slippery Rock University
- B.A., 1976, Geneva College
- MOL 505 - History and Theory of Leadership
- MOL 515 - Leadership and Ethics
- MOL 525 - Leadership and Motivation
- MOL 520 - Research Methods
- MOL 535 - Leadership and Decision Making
- MOL 530 - Leadership and Change
- MOL 545 - Leadership and Strategy
- MOL 555 - Integrated Leadership Project
- HRS 440—Dynamics of Group and Organizational Behavior
- HRS 430—Organizational Analysis
- HRS 457—Principles of Management and Supervision
- HRS 434—Research Methods
- HRS 442—Values and Ethical Decision Making
M.Ed. in Higher Education Courses:
- Foundations of Educational Research
Education Department Classes:
- Pre-Student Teacher Seminar I—Secondary Education
- Pre-Student Teacher Seminar II—Secondary Education
Duquesne University Ed.D Courses:
- Ethics and Leadership
- Educational Leadership
- Dissertation Committee Member, Richard Morris, Ed.D., University of Pittsburgh, 2006.
- Dissertation Committee Member, Joseph Stahl, Ph.D., University of Phoenix, 2008
- Dissertation Committee Member, Jared Simmer, ABD, Duquesne University
- Dissertation Committee Member, Cheryl Anderson, Regent University, course work not yet completed
- Dittmar, J. K. (2007). Preliminary results of a study comparing five-factor personality traits with servant leader characteristics. Paper presented at the Servant Leader Roundtable Conference, August 9, 2007, Regent University, Virginia Beach, VA.
- Dittmar, J. K. (2006). Where do we go from here?: The necessity of developing an empirically-based, shared model of servant leadership. Paper presented at the Servant Leader Roundtable Conference, August 1, 2006, Regent University, Virginia Beach, VA.
- Dittmar, J. K. (2006). Development of an instrument measuring the characteristics of a five-component model of servant leadership. Paper presented at the Servant Leader Roundtable Conference, August 1, 2006, Regent University, Virginia Beach, VA.
- Dittmar, J. K. (1995). Design of an integrative curriculum and pedagogy in the adult learner classroom. Paper presented at the Association of Adult Educators Conference, July 7, 1995, Chicago, IL.
- Dittmar, J. K. (1994). Pre-service teachers’ perceptions of curriculum knowledge. Paper presented at the Christian Association of Teacher Educators Conference, April 21, 1994, Chicago, IL.
- Dittmar, J. K. (1994). Effective evaluation of qualitative measures of learning in adult degree completion programs. Paper presented at the Carlisle Conference of Degree Completion Programs, October 15, 1994, Carlisle, PA.
- Dittmar, J. K. (1992). The content of lesson plans: How pre-service teachers utilize conceptions of curriculum knowledge when choosing what to teach. Paper presented at the Association of Educators of America Conference, November 4, 1992, Pittsburgh, PA
- Dittmar, J. K. (1992). The design and implementation of an action research project for students in an undergraduate adult learning program. Paper presented at the Carlisle Conference of Adult Degree Completion Programs, October, 2, 1992, Carlisle, PA.
- Dittmar, J. K. (1991). Making sense: How pre-service teachers construct knowledge about discipline-specific, secondary school curriculum. Paper presented at the Association of Educators of American Conference, October 20, 1991, Kansas City, KA.
- Dittmar, J. K. (2008). The missional transformation of waynesburg college. Christian Higher Education Journal. (accepted for publication).
- Dittmar, J. K. (2008). Against all odds: The transformation of Waynesburg College. Virginia Beach, VA: The Donning Company.
- Dittmar, J. K., Stahl-Wert, J. & Jennings, K. (2007). Trust and engagement. Leadership Excellence, 24(11), 8.
- Dittmar, J. K. (2006). An interview with Larry Spears, CEO and Executive Director of the Greenleaf Center for Servant Leadership. The Journal of Leadership and Organizational Studies, 14(2), 17-28.
- Dittmar, J. K. (2003, October). Ethics and leadership. Hospital News, 1, 3-4.
- A study of transformative learning among adult graduate students
- Antecedents of Servant Leadership: A Comparison of Five-Factor Personality Traits with Servant Leadership Characteristics.
- A study of Nyack College, Nyack, New York, and how it transformed itself into an institution with a student body that has a “minority majority” ethnic composition and a faculty that represents that same diversity.
Awards & Distinctions Received
- Graduate Student of the Year, Slippery Rock University, 1987
Affiliations, e.g., membership in professional organizations, etc.
- Association of Adult and Continuing Education
- International Leadership Association
- Phi Delta Kappa, Westminster Chapter
Miscellaneous, e.g., hobbies, sports, personal info, etc.
- Golf, Fishing, Spectator Sports