Office Phone: 724-847-6632
Disciplines/Field of Instruction
- Non-Western History
- Non-Western Religions
- Ph.D., Non-Western History, University of Edinburgh, Scotland, 2005
Specializations: south Asian cultural history, Asian Christianity
- Non-Western History Sequence:
- Modern Asian History
- Modern African History
- Middle Eastern History
- History of India
- Upper-Level History Courses:
- Global Christianity
- Asian Cultural History
- East-West Contact
- History and Theory
- Senior Seminar: Post-colonialism
- Introductory Courses:
- Introduction to Historical Studies
- Humanities 203- Western Culture: Ancient through Renaissance
- Humanities 303- Western Culture: Enlightenment through Postmodernism
- Religious Studies Courses:
- Introduction to Religious Studies
- Asian Religions
- Western Religions
- Synthesizing the Vedanta: The Theology of Pierre Johanns S.J. Oxford: P. Lang, 2006.
- “Reading John through Bhakti eyes: the Hermeneutics of A. J. Appasamy.” Chapter in World Christianity in Local Context (ed. Stephen Goodwin), Continuum Press, 2009
- Review of Christians, Cultural Interactions, and India’s Religious Traditions (ed. J. Brown and R. Frykenburg), in Studies in World Christianity, vol. 8.2, 2002.
- The Christian Bhakti of A. J. Appasamy. I am currently writing an intellectual biography of a leading 20th century Indian theologian who engaged with Hindu cultural traditions.
- I am currently serving on the steering committee for the new subject group in World Christianity being initiated in the Evangelical Theological Society.
- I love to travel every summer. So far, I have visited 20 different countries, both European and non-Western.
Awards & Distinctions Received
- Travel Funds Recipient, Geneva College Faculty Development, 2009
For visiting and photographing Kenya and Morocco
- Research Funds Recipient, Methodist University Faculty Development, 2007
For conducting archival research in the Universities of Mumbai and Pune, India
- Research Funds Recipient, University of Edinburgh Small-Project Fund, 2003
For conducting archival research in the Universities of Leuven and Namur, Belgium
- Research Funds Recipient, The Spalding Trust, Cambridge University, 2003
For conducting archival research in the University of Calcutta, India
- Overseas Research Schemes Award, Universities UK, 2002-2004
- Faculty Scholarship, University of Edinburgh, 2002-2004
- Division of Humanities Scholarship, University of Edinburgh, 2001
Affiliations, e.g., membership in professional organizations, etc.
- Yale-Edinburgh Group on the History of Non-Western Christianity
- American Society of Church History
- American Academy of Religion
- Evangelical Theological Society (Steering committee: World Christianity subject group)