Office Phone: 724-847-6783
Disciplines/Field of Instruction
- B.A. Communications, 1991, Geneva College
- M.A. Communications, 1995, University of Akron
- Ph.D., Communications and Rhetorical Studies, Duquesne University
- COM 101 - Principles of Speech
- COM 215 - Argumentation and Debate
- COM 220 - Group Dynamics
- COM 225 - Culture & Communication
- COM 315 - Communication Process
- COM 400 - The Communications Professional
- HMN 491 - Rhetoric of the Civil Rights Movement
- Book Chapter: "What Do These Stones Mean? Faith, Remembrance, and the Civil Rights Movement" in the book Black Christian Scholars and the Future of Black America by Anthony Bradley, Ed. (in progress)
- “My Sister, My Brother: A Discussion of Race Relations on Christian College Campuses” (Video/Study Guide), Anderson University, Anderson, Indiana, 1998
- Book Review: We Have No Leaders: African Americans in the Post Civil Rights Era by Robert C. Smith. In “Journal of Rhetoric and Public Affairs” 2:4 (Winter 1999) pp. 686-689.
- Director of The Common Ground project, a small, community based non-profit that hosts an annual Civil Rights Movement bus tour.
Awards & Distinctions Received
- Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History, Slaves Narratives Seminar, Yale University, 2010
- The New Pittsburgh Courier 50 Men of Excellence Award, 2009
- NEH Fellowship, African American Civil Rights Struggles in the Twentieth Century, Harvard University, 2008
- Network Exchange Program Grant, Lilly Fellows Program, 2007
- Minority Opinion Magazine, Minority Achiever Award, 2007
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Geneva College, 2006
- 40 under 40, Pittsburgh Magazine, 2005
- Racial Justice Award, YWCA of Greater Pittsburgh, 2005
- Civil Rights Humanitarian Award, Dr, Martin Luther King Celebration Committee, 2004
- Peace Award, Beaver County Peace Links, 2003
Affiliations, e.g., membership in professional organizations, etc.
- Pennsylvania School Board Association
- National School Board Association
- National Communication Association
- Eastern Communication Association
Miscellaneous, e.g., hobbies, sports, personal info, etc.
- Golf - Recorded a hole-in-one at Stonecrest Golf Course
- Fan of the Los Angeles Lakers and Pittsburgh Steelers
- Collecting sports memorabilia
- Collecting memorabilia related to the African American experience, with particular emphasis on the Civil Rights Movement period of the 1950s-60s.