Office Phone: 724-847-6621
Disciplines/Field of Instruction
- Political Science
- Student Publications
- Ph.D., 2006, Public and International Affairs, University of Pittsburgh
- Master of Public and International Affairs, 1992, University of Pittsburgh
- B.A. (summa cum laude, departmental honors), 1991, political science, Geneva College
- International Relations
- Intelligence and Policy
- Foreign and National Security Policy
- Public Administration
- Social Science Research Methods
- Crime and Justice
- Comparative Politics
- Politics of Global Terrorism
- International Political Economy
- Public Policy
- Political Parties and Elections
- “Building New Bridges: Technology Transfer and East-West Stability,” Ridgway Viewpoints, 93-1. University of Pittsburgh, Ridgway Center for International Security Studies, 1993. Co-author.
- “Please, Impeach my Commander-in-Chief: Article 88 and the U.S. Military,” Ridgway Viewpoints 99-1. University of Pittsburgh, Ridgway Center for International Security Studies, 1999.
- The Information Revolution and U.S. National Security, U.S. Army War College Strategic Studies Institute, April 2000. Editor.
- “Is the ‘New Terrorism’ Really New? An Analysis of the New Paradigm of Terrorism,” Journal of Conflict Studies, Winter 2001/2002.
- Fool Me Twice: Intelligence Failure and Mass Casualty Terrorism. Martinus/Nijhoff, 2007.
- “The Failure of Intelligence Failure Theory,” chapter in the International Studies Association Compendium on International Affairs, Blackwell Publishing (forthcoming).
Invited Papers and Conference Presentations:
Awards & Distinctions Received
- “Combat Boots or Cross Trainers? An Analysis of Gender-Integrated Basic Training.” Society for Military History and The Ohio State University, November 5, 1999.
- “How States Respond to the Information Revolution,” Yale University, Spring 2002
- “Ethnicity and Transnational Organized Crime,” International Association of Law Enforcement Intelligence Analysts training conference, Summer 2002 and Fall 2002
- “Gangs, Organized Crime, and Ethnicity,” Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences, Spring 2003
- “Is the ‘New’ Terrorism Really New?” Open Source Solutions conference, Spring 2003 and El Paso Border Patrol conference, Fall 2002
- “The Failure of Intelligence Failure Theory,” International Studies Association annual Convention, San Francisco, March 2008
- Doctoral Award for Academic Excellence, GSPIA, 2000
- Alpha Chi National College Honor Society, 1991
- Who’s Who Among Students in American Colleges and Universities, 1991
- Senior Prizes in History and Political Science, Geneva College, 1991
- Isabella Stewart Christian Leadership Award, Geneva College, 1991
- Trustees’ Scholarship, Geneva College, 1990
- Dean’s List, Geneva College, 1987-1991
- National Merit Scholarship, Honorable Mention, 1987
Affiliations, e.g., membership in professional organizations, etc.
- International Association for Intelligence Education
- International Studies Association
- College Media Advisers