Common injuries include:
- Contusions - bruise
- Sprained Ankle
- Strained "pulled" muscles (can happen anywhere in the body)
- "Shin Splints" - generalized term for pain in the anterior (front) portion of the shin.
Treatment of Injuries: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation (RICE)
- Rest for 24-72 hours (depending upon severity) after injury to prevent further injury.
- Ice for 48-72 hours to keep the injury from swelling.
- Compression and elevation (above heart level) to keep the area from swelling.
*Do NOT apply heat to the area until the inflammatory process is complete, otherwise the heat will promote more inflammation to the area.
If injury is severe enough, seek further evaluation from a physician.