There are many advantages to homeschooling, but also some challenges in the transition to college. In order to make the transition experience from homeschooling to college as smooth and stress-free as possible, we would suggest taking the following steps:
- Prepare yourself as much as possible in the areas of mathematics, lab science, research writing and foreign language.
- Concentrate on your strengths, but don't neglect your weaknesses in your high school academic work.
- Enroll in some courses at a local high school or college to help you get the feel of a classroom setting.
- Participate in extracurricular activities and/or organized sports while in high school and take advantage of homeschool groups which provide the opportunity to work with others.
- Develop self-discipline, a trait necessary for success in college.
- Take standardized tests (SAT and ACT) more than once so as to validate the valuable academic work you have done in your homeschooling.