Beaver Falls, PA – The night ended in celebration as the Geneva men’s basketball team defeated Washington & Jefferson with a buzzer beater that sent the Metheny Fieldhouse crowd into a frenzy. Prior to that Presidents’ Athletic Conference classic, Geneva College and the Golden Tornadoes athletic department took time to honor greatness with the presentation of three Honorary G plaques signifying letter winners at the college.
Dr. Badger served as Geneva’s Faculty Athletic Representative for over 20 years. He continued in the role of FAR until the summer of 2009. Dr. Badger began serving as a faculty member in chemistry department in 1965 and retired from full-time work at the college in 2004. He graduated from Geneva College in 1964 and received his M.S. and Ph.D. from the University of Michigan.
Mr. Peter Napoli accepted the Honorary G for his wife, Virginia, who passed away in 1980. Mrs. Napoli earned her master’s in physical education from the University of Pittsburgh in 1953. She began her professional career teaching at the junior high and high schools in Beaver Falls from 1950-64. Mrs. Napoli began serving as a lecturer at Geneva College in 1956 and became a full-time faculty member in 1964, serving at Geneva until her passing. During her time at Geneva, she provided key leadership in the development of Geneva’s physical education program and women’s athletic program. Mrs. Napoli was appointed to the position of Director of Women’s athletics in 1975. That year also marked the first year Geneva’s women played their home games at Metheny Fieldhouse. In 1976 she became chairperson of the Department of Physical Education.
Ms. Doris Nevin’s Geneva career spanned the years from 1949-61. Both as a teacher and coach, she played a significant role in the development of women’s athletics at Geneva. A pioneer for both women’s athletics and physical education, Ms. Nevin served as the Director of Physical Education for Women. The 1950 Genevan summed her up the best: “Miss Nevin has been to all on campus a living example of unselfish devotion to that which makes for the better life. She has earned herself a place of high esteem and respect.”
Geneva College is a comprehensive Christian college of the arts, sciences and professional studies. Founded in the tradition of the Reformed Christian faith, Geneva prepares students to serve Christ in all areas of society: work, family and the church. Geneva College’s philosophy of education is based on the Foundational Concepts of Christian Higher Education. Geneva is a founding member of the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities (CCCU).
Geneva offers innovative business/aviation and Christian ministry/aviation majors through a partnership with the Community College of Beaver County.