Finding Financial Aid after Starting Your Degree - Geneva College, a Christian College in Pennsylvania (PA)

Geneva College Blog

RSS Subscribe Print   

Adult Students Financial Aid
September 25, 2017

Finding Financial Aid after Starting Your Degree

If you’re like most college students, you find almost all of your funding for school in those months before you actually set off for campus. Yet as you get settled into your education, you may find that you still need additional funding to cover some gaps in your educational expenses. The good news is that you can find, and apply for, a number of scholarships and grants even after you've already started your learning. Here are some tips to make it a little easier.

Talk to the Financial Aid Office

First, head to your school's financial aid office. These professionals know all of the scholarship and grant options that are out there and can point you to some that may apply to you now but did not apply when you were just heading out. Scholarships and grants designed for specific degree fields or students in advanced years of school, for example, may not have been on your radar as an incoming freshman.

Exhaust Federal Options

If you have not already done so, exhaust the federal programs that are available to you. First, see if you are eligible for the Federal Pell Grant, which offers funding for students based on income needs. Those students with extreme financial need may be eligible for additional funding through the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant.

Students who are studying education may be eligible for the Federal TEACH Grant, which gives them money in exchange for an agreement to work in a high needs area after graduation. The federal government also has a number of loan programs to consider, and these can be found through the Department of Education.

Look into State-Specific Grants

After exhausting your federal options, it's time to consider state grants and scholarships. These may only apply to students who are living in the state in which they attend college or who are low-income, but if this aid is available to you, use it!

Grants and Scholarships for Minorities

If you are a minority, you will find that there are a number of grants and scholarships available to people from minority groups. To find these, talk to the minority foundation for your particular race or ethnicity. They’re often the organizations administering these particular grant and scholarship programs. Even if the organization does not offer an aid program, it may be able to point you toward one.

Subject-Specific Grants and Scholarships

This is one category that may not be available until you have been in your degree program for a while or until you have chosen one, which is why many students overlook it when coming to school for the first time. Organizations that wish to promote particular areas of study, like STEM subjects and teaching degrees, offer scholarships to students who are willing to study in these areas.

Often these scholarships are offered based on GPA, with stringent requirements to keep grades at a high level. Some may be offered as an award-for-service, requiring some work commitment after graduation in exchange for the tuition funding. Award-for-service grants are common in areas like healthcare and education where extreme shortages are found in impoverished areas of the country.

As you can see, there are a number of options out there to find scholarships and funding even after you have started your degree. Remember, new scholarships are popping up all the time, and every little bit helps when it comes to paying for your college.

To learn how to maximize aid for your degree program, talk to the Student Financial Services office of Geneva College. For more information on how Geneva College can help you pursue your career objectives, please give us a call at 855-979-5563 or email