Satisfactory Progress

Satisfactory Academic Progress is checked at the end of the spring semester for students in traditional undergraduate and graduate programs. For the cohort structured programs (such as degree completion programs), it is checked after the term that most closely corresponds to the spring term. In order to receive financial aid (including loans), students must maintain satisfactory progress as indicated below:

1. Full-Time Undergraduate Students: All full-time students must earn a minimum of 24 “new” hours of academic credit annually to remain eligible for aid consideration (twelve “new” hours for any student with only one term or semester in the year) and maintain a minimum 1.7 G.P.A. as a freshman or sophomore (under 60 credits earned). Juniors and seniors must maintain a minimum 2.0 G.P.A.

2. Part-Time Undergraduate Students: All part-time students must earn 75% of all new credits attempted in a term. If less than 75% are earned in a specific term, then 75% of cumulative attempts must be earned in the academic year. Part-time students must maintain a minimum 1.7 G.P.A. as a freshman or sophomore (under 60 credits earned). Juniors and seniors must maintain a minimum 2.0 G.P.A.

3. Graduate Students: Graduate students are considered to be making satisfactory academic progress if they are meeting their program′s standards for continued enrollment, achieving a minimum of a 3.00 GPA, and making progress in their program so they will complete the degree within the 150% timeframe.

4. Impact of incompletes, withdrawals, repeats, remedial, and transfer credits:

  • Incomplete courses can impact two ways. Initially, because a course is incomplete, it does not count toward the credits per year requirement for students, so it could impact 150% progress. Eventually an incomplete course that is not resolved becomes an “F” which affects the GPA.
  • Withdrawing from a course can bring the total credits earned for the school year below the minimum requirement, if the “W” grade is earned after the drop/add period. A Repeated course does not count as “new” credits unless it is replacing a course with an “F” grade. Courses with an “F” grade do not result in any earned credits.
  • Remedial credits are not counted in the cumulative GPA.  Since they do not count towards degree requirements and are not college level, they are not included in the total credits earned on the transcript, but are included when determining sufficient academic progress.
  • Transfer credits accepted by the Registrar’s Office toward the completion of the student’s degree program will count as both hours attempted and hours completed. Please note that transfer hours that come on a transcript after the semester begins will be factored in at the next scheduled Satisfactory Academic Progress checkpoint.

5. Pace of Progression and Maximum Timeframe:

  • The pace at which an undergraduate student completes classes varies depending upon full-time or part-time enrollment. A full-time student must complete the normal four year program in no more than six years. Part-time students must proceed at the same pace. For example, a student who should complete in six years as a part-time student may not exceed nine years.
  • Graduate students must also take no more than 150% of the normal amount of time to complete a degree. For example, a program that requires two years of full-time enrollment must be completed within three years.

  • It is important to note that the student is ineligible at the evaluation point where it is indicated that they will exceed the maximum timeframe, NOT at the point that they actually reach the maximum timeframe.

6. Review Policies: If, after review, it is found that the student has not maintained "satisfactory progress," the student will be placed on financial aid suspension until the required credit hours or GPA have been attained.  The student will be contacted at his or her Geneva College email address and through mail at the primary address on file.   Additional options are listed below:

  • Make up any incomplete grades with a passing grade of A through D and notify the Student Financial Services Office when complete.
  • Enroll during the summer term (without aid) to make up the necessary hours. Please note that all summer transcripts MUST be received before the start of the Fall semester. Please contact the Student Financial Services Office when your transcript has been sent.
  • Enroll for the Fall term at the normal load plus the required makeup hours (without aid). Aid eligibility would be reestablished for the spring term, providing you meet the necessary cumulative average/credit requirement and notify Student Financial Services at the end of the Fall term.
  • Appeal your financial aid suspension (per instructions below)
  • Pay out of pocket or borrow a private, credit based loan that does not require satisfactory academic progress. More information about these private credit based loans can be found at

Note: A student placed on Financial Aid Suspension may not receive any Federal or Geneva aid when placed on financial aid suspension. State aid has different standards. The Pennsylvania state grant requires 24 “new” credits per year and does not have a GPA requirement.

Academic scholarships also have different requirements (see your scholarship letter from Admissions or contact the Student Financial Services Office for the details of your award).

7. Appeals: Any student who has been placed on financial aid suspension may appeal in writing to the Director of Student Financial Services indicating what extenuating circumstances occurred that hindered meeting the minimum requirements and why aid should not be terminated.

Examples of these circumstances may include the death of a family member, illness or injury of the student, or other special circumstances. The appeal must include 1) the reason(s) that the student failed to make satisfactory academic progress and 2) what has changed that will allow the student to make satisfactory academic progress. The Director and/or Financial Aid Committee will review the appeal to determine if an exception is justified. The student will be notified in writing of the appeal decision. A student who successfully appeals will have one award year to improve academic progress and comply with Satisfactory Academic Progress policy to continue financial aid eligibility, unless otherwise communicated the Director.  Except in rare circumstances, students may appeal one time only.

8. Additional Information: Since we check progress annually, we do not have warning or probation periods. Even if a student does not receive federal financial aid, this policy still applies. Past periods of not making satisfactory academic progress, whether receiving aid or not, can and will impact federal financial aid eligibility in future terms.